The Building Engineering Services Association is the UK's leading trade organisation for building engineering services contractors – representing the interests of firms active in the design, installation, commissioning, maintenance, control and management of engineering systems and services in buildings. Want to find out more? Why not check our website? www.thebesa.com
The Technical Department offers direct access to guidance and advice for members on technical and health and safety matters which relate to activities within the building services sector and also to the wider construction sector.
For example on:
- Statutory Requirements
- British and European Standards
- Industry guidance and good practice
- Environmental issues
- Quality assurance
- Technical standards
The BESA Technical Department publishes a range of codes of practice and industry standards relating to specific technical and health and safety aspects that are widely respected and used throughout the UK and beyond. A key function of the department is ensuring those standards and codes of practice are regularly reviewed and updated in line with changes to industry, technological innovation, and legislation.
The Technical team work with a number of external industry bodies and Government departments in helping to shape future policy direction which impacts on our members’ businesses. Working in collaboration with the Head of Publications the team then help drive the changes in technical standards and codes of practice to ensure our members are better informed and prepared. The Department also assists members with H&S issues, from guidance in establishing safety management systems, preparing health & safety policies or information on new and existing regulations and expert guidance on current best practice.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The post holder is responsible to the Head of Technical to assist in the provision and development of technical support to BESA members and other BESA departments. They will also be encouraged to attend external meetings with other industry professional bodies and Government departments.
- Be the first point of contact for all technical queries received from members, disseminating requests to the responsible engineer where appropriate, or dealing with the query themselves.
- The maintenance and development of a portfolio of published health and safety, technical and sustainability standards, plus guidance covering the full range of member contracting activities, collaborating with the relevant BESA Group department heads.
- Acting as Secretariat for the BESA Technical Committee – attending meetings, organising agendas, and taking meeting notes for dissemination to members.
- Authoring and publishing technical bulletins to association members.
- Keeping abreast of relevant developments relating to the technical and safety aspects of the building services sector.
- Carrying out projects and day to day activities in order to fulfil the Departmental and Association strategic objectives.
- Supporting the BESA Head of Technical in the day-to-day running of the department.
Skills & Knowledge - Essential
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Building Engineering Services and/or Sustainability Engineering specialism preferably with a year in industry.
- A sound working knowledge of the technical requirements of building services industry.
- A sound working knowledge of the requirements of Facilities Management in relation to Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing.
- Proficient in written and oral communications skills.
- Proficient IT skills – familiarity with the use of Microsoft Office essential.
Skills & Knowledge – Desirable
- Good working knowledge/understanding of H&S requirements of the building services sector.
- To have a thorough understanding of the building services industry and in particular the technical issues within it.
- To hold a full UK driving licence.
General Skills and Abilities - Essential
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of technical experts in the mechanical sector and with association members.
- An inquisitive mind with an interest in technical innovation within the sector.
- Pleasant personality - able to interact at all levels.
- Self-motivated – an ability and desire to act proactively, using their initiative to develop and deliver the output of the team.
- Willing attitude and readiness to take on new challenges.
- Commercially aware.
- Able to travel within the UK
Why work for us?
- An opportunity to work across the building engineering sector with key contractors, specifiers, and contributors.
- The Technical team also supports other BESA Group departments and companies with guidance and advice and the post holder will be encouraged to develop the role and themselves by collaborating with other Group departments to help build the BESA Group as a whole.
- Hands-off management approach allowing you to manage your own time and work-load and to judge what issues and emerging technologies in the sector to cover.
- Working in close collaboration with the Head of Specialist Groups and the Head of Publications, the post holder will help industry efforts to improve energy efficiency performance of buildings in the wider context of meeting the UK’s Net Zero targets.
- Propose projects that will add value to our members and take the lead on executing them
- Encouraged to attend Specialist Group meetings, Exhibitions, Seminars and Training Courses as frequently as possible to develop learning and build a network – get out of the office and meet people
- 35 hour week with flexibility around core hours and a friendly working atmosphere